Dua Lipa rubbishes reports of performing at World Cup opening in Qatar
Dua Lipa has denied reports that she will perform at the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar.
The 27-year-old singer, born in London to parents from Kosovo, said she would play in the country if it improved its record on human rights.
Controversy over Qatar's treatment of migrant workers
and the criminalization of same-sex relationships has put the football tournament under the spotlight.
Following reports linking her to the incident, Lipa shared a statement on Instagram,
“At the moment there is a lot of speculation that I will be performing at the opening ceremony of the World Cup in Qatar.
"I will not protest nor have I been involved in any talks for protest.
“I will be cheering England on from afar and I look forward to visiting Qatar
after it has delivered on all the human rights promises it made when it won the right to host the World Cup.
Sir Rod Stewart recently revealed that he turned down over a million dollars to play in the country last year.
He told the Sunday Times: "I turned it down. It's not good to go. And the Iranians should be out for arms supplies too."